Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Selfishness must always be forgiven you know, because there is no hope of a cure

Yeah yeah, I know, I never write I never call.  You have to forgive me, I'm selfish and as Jane Austen wrote, "Selfishness must always be forgiven you know, because there is no hope of a cure."  I've been using up all my spare time freakishly addicted to Pinterest. Thanks for that Cheryl and Natalie, I owe you one.  So I thought I would give you a gift from my sewing closet.  A Tutorial!  Are you excited?  It's my first, I hope you like it.

So this is the goal:  To create Jane Austen cover up, using an old sweater or t-shirt. Like this one:
List of Materials:
  1. an old sweater or t-shirt
  2. sewing machine
  3. scissors
  4. pins
  5. matching thread
  6. safety pin 
  7. ribbon   
  8. Fray Check or clear nail polish                
 I'll wait while you gather everything you need...

First up, cut garment up the middle and cut off collar if it has one. I would suggest doing this on a flat surface. It was easier to illustrate the how to on Ava.
When cutting neckline add a slight V-shaped curve
 Serge or zig-zag edges so they don't fray, this is very necessary on a sweater!
 To create casing for ribbon fold over edges to inside about 3/4 of an inch,  pin.
 Sew 5/8 from edge all the way around removing pins as you go.
 You will need about a yard or more of ribbon, I usually leave it on the spool and cut it the length I need when I am done.
 Fold over the ribbon edge and attach the safety pin.
 Insert into the casing you just made on the sweater and use the safety pin to feed the ribbon thru the casing

 Keep feeding the ribbon thru until the safety pin comes out the other end.

 Try on sweater and gather the ribbons, adjust the gathers until you are comfortable, gather the front only and and leave the back neck edge flat.  Because the front hem is now being pulled up and forward the side seams will no longer lay straight but curve towards the front.  (Think about when you were a teenager and would take the front hem of a t-shirt and bring it up and thru the collar of your t-shirt, kind of the same thing.)  Finish off ribbon edges by cutting at an angle. Use Fray Check or clear nail polish on the ends of the ribbon to keep them from fraying.
And that's it, you are all done!  Now pair this with a pretty cotton high-waisted dress and find your own Mr. Darcy, Captain Wentworth or Colonel Brandon or try it with a tank top and jeans and find your modern equivalent!  Happy husband hunting, because every one knows: "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife."  I love Jane Austen! And so I am off to watch a J.A. movie and to sew!  Let me know if you try this with your old sweaters or t-shirts and how it worked out for you!
Take Care,
Terri  

1 comment:

  1. Officially time to raid my closet and DO THIS. Thank you, lady! MORE TUTORIALS, PLEASE!!! - Jess Bradshaw

    ReplyDelete