Thursday, January 15, 2015

Wedding Day: Part 1

So in September of 2012 Matt proposed to Ashton.  I remember him asking for our blessing and his plan to wait until September to ask her. My biggest fear was that she would insist on an October wedding and I would only have a minute to pull it all together.

She did insist on an October wedding but October of the following year. The only instruction the bride gave me was, I want pumpkins. Slowly, other plans were added, she wanted it in Orange County because that would make it easier for all the guests, food trucks instead of a catered meal, the color orange. I should make mention that the groom is not a member of our church so that changes things. Normally an engaged couple who are members of our church would marry in one of our Temples, am I upset that my daughter married a nonmember? No, my husband married a nonmember and I'd say it's worked out pretty well. ;)

So back to the wedding, location.  Since my daughter wanted the In-n-Out food truck for the reception that limited the places to have the reception. Matt isn't religious so he was uncomfortable with having the wedding in an LDS church building, this was a conumdrum. I tried the usual places, Huntington Library, Nixon Library, restaurants with banquet halls and hotels were out. Then one day my husband threw out a sarcastic remark to me and Ashton and it triggered a memory. I had not been to Knott's Berry Farm in years, but I remembered the Church of the Reflections on the property.


Sure enough after checking the website I learned that it was a nondenominational church and available for weddings! In fact they do an entire package but since we wanted something different we chose to go with just the church. For an extra fee, we could have Snoopy and the gang attend the wedding.  That just left finding a reception venue that could accommodate the In-n-Out truck. Finally we hit on a solution that had been staring me in the face and when we thought of it we couldn't believe how simple it was. Fairmont Private Schools in Anaheim, their Preparatory Academy is housed in the Stanton Hacienda and has a beautiful courtyard! The truck could be easily be accommodated once the location and food had been decided it was easier to continue. 

Fairmont Preparatory Academy:

And the courtyard:

So that's it for now, I have an Elsa gown to make. Coming soon, the rest of the preparations. 

Terri




1 comment:

  1. it was a beautiful day! Although it would have been WAY cooler if Snoopy was there lol :>)

    ReplyDelete