Thursday, March 24, 2011

Sewing, laundry, rain, chauffeuring and did I mention sewing?

I am happy to report I have finished: 1 wedding dress, 6, I think it was 6, bridesmaids skirts, 2 skirts for the brides cousins and 1 mother of the bride dress in the last month and a half.  2 days before I completed the wedding gown I was contacted by a young woman who was given my name by Helle, she needs not 1 but 2 dresses for Prom.  So I will be making this:






She wants it slightly modified with spaghetti straps and a low low back.  I'm just glad the fabric isn't sequins but rather a lovely silk and embellished lace.   I will be using a Butterick Pattern 4657 and modifying it.  I find when I am crunched for time this is the easiest method.
After checking out tons of patterns I decided this was the closest to the style. 















This is the second dress she has requested, and yes the skirt will have feathers.  This one she wants in black. The bustier top will not have the jewels on it since again they brought me fabric that is already embellished.














This is another pattern I have had in my collection for some time and have wanted to make it forever.  I found some gorgeous cotton fabric that just said Easter to me so why not make it now?  My Sweetie and I are planning to head to Viva Las Vegas Weekend in April and vintage clothing is needed.  This is Butterick pattern 4790 from 1952.  It was called the "Walk Away Dress." You can read a brief history here.  It was easy to make with just 3 pattern pieces and then binding. I love the fact that some of the pattern companies are reissuing vintage patterns.  I love them, the dresses are so feminine.



Here is the fabric and the binding, now to search the closet for some shoes that will go with this dress.  














So for my Sweetie who has a great sense of humor and since I rarely sew for him, I found an outrageous  fabric that I will be making a Hawaiian Shirt out of.  The fabric is called Mirage and I purchased it at Michael Levine's in Downtown LA.   I also found buttons made from coconut!

That is everything that is on my sewing table at the moment.  Monday I peaked into Jordan and Jonathan's room and realized the laundry is up to my hip.  It has spilled out of the hamper and is threatening to overtake the room.  Jonathan was doing the laundry for himself and his brother but has decided it's for the birds.  So I guess it's back to me.  I hate laundry.  I don't mind folding it but I hate sorting and remembering to take it out of the washer then put it in the dryer.  I hate that after I fold it, instead of putting it away my kids will leave it on the dining room table and just take what they need for that day.  There has to be an easier way. 

It has also been raining quite a bit.  I'm not crazy about winter but some of the positives about it: warm jammy pants, my hubby's sweatshirts, my mother's beef stew, wearing boots, my new polka dot coat, hats and the mountains (hills)behind our house get covered occasionally by snow.  During the cooler times of the year the tops of the mountains (hills) also get covered by the clouds blown in from the ocean.  I love this, when my kids were little we started calling it the "cloud monster" because of the way it crept over the top of them.  Lately I've taken to calling them the Misty Mountains.  I've been rereading Lord of the Rings in my spare time. 

The rest of the time seems to be taken up by chauffeuring kids here and there.  To school, from school, to Church, friends houses, jobs and doctor appointments.  I cringe every time I have to get gas.  OUCH!  If this keeps up I'm investing in horses for the boys.  At least I am grateful that I no longer have to travel 10 miles to the grocery store, we now have one 2 miles away, along with a gas station a bank and Subway!  If I'm feeling ambitious and weather permitting I may even walk there.  I believe somewhere in my garage is one of those old lady shopping carts.  Notice I didn't say ride my bike, the hills in our community still defeat me.

The above photo is of Cameron's big toe on the left side about a half inch above the joint you can see the break.  The doctor said it's healing nicely and he should be back running in about 5 weeks.  Hard to believe he managed to go hiking with his Scout Troop last Friday and Saturday up Mt. San Jacinto. Go Cam!
  
So that's life this week, the kids are out of school next week for Spring Break, I will need to start a list of projects for them.  Our friend Kurt Rose is extremely ill and in need of prayers. My son Andrew reports that he is well and has been on his Mission now 8 months! Where did the time go?  I continue to feel blessed that I have a family that loves me, a (repaired) roof over my head, food to eat, clothes to wear, cars to drive and good friends willing to celebrate or sympathize with me.  But most of all, I am grateful for the tender mercies of the Lord Jesus Christ in my life.
Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment