Sunday, March 6, 2011

Wow, it feels good to take off my shoes...

Yesterday I mentioned that I was headed to LA to check out the costumes at FIDM and to find some fabric for a future Renaissance Faire costume both goals were accomplished.  It was an absolutely gorgeous day, the weather was perfect as you can tell from this photo of the Eastern Building on Ninth Street.  The Eastern was recently converted into lofts, pricey and in the heart of downtown but I'm happy the old building is seeing some life again. 
 

The movie costumes were amazing, one of the things that always fascinates me is how tiny they are.  Ellen Page is super small!  I love the detail work that I saw in the Academy Award winning costumes from Alice in Wonderland.  I was hoping to see the costumes from Black Swan but no such luck.  They did however have on display the costumes from Clash of the Titans, Inception, Burlesque, King's Speech and Last Airbender which I'm told were much better than the movie itself.

After the Costume Gallery we headed over to the FIDM Scholarship Store, I scored 3 yards of black and white polka dot fabric for $3.00! I will add it to my stash and use it when I think of something to do with it.  While in the store Cheryl, Lacey and I found some vintage-y looking brooches and rings we plan on making a brooch/silk flower bouquet. If you haven't seen these you must check them out, try  here  These things are super gorgeous.  We wandered down the street from FIDM to the garment district and found ribbon, more jewelry and diet coke.  We met up with Lacey's fiance, his dad and brother to outfit them with new suits.  I like the idea of purchasing a suit that can be worn again instead of renting a tux, considering the deals on suits from my man Tebbi at Sina Suits how can you go wrong?  He even has a tailor on site that will do the work in about an hour.

So after all the shopping we ended up at Phillipe's the Original for french dip sandwiches.  I am a second generation patron of this fine establishment.  They have been in business since 1908.  My dad loved the place and passed it on to me.  I have in turn passed this tradition on to my kids.  My hubby is also a second generation patron.  His dad grew up in LA and loves the place.  I know that LA has some great restaurants but given the opportunity, Phillipe's lunch counter is where I will end up.  I love every thing about the place, the ceiling fans, the sawdust on the floor, the lemonade, the candy counter, the long tables that guarantee you will sit by a total stranger who may be homeless and was able to pay $.09 for coffee or Francis Ford Coppola you never know, but most of all, the sandwiches with their special homemade mustard.  HEAVEN! 

Today we attended church.  Due to responsibilities my husband and I have for the last 2 Sundays I've had to stay in my Sunday wear.  I have different classifications for my shoes, some are wear anytime all day long like my favorite summer flip flops or my Uggs, some are every few days is fine but not everyday, some are 3 hour shoes (the length of time I am at church), some are 3 hour but I better be sitting down for 2 hours and others are what in the world was I thinking?!?  Last weeks shoes were 3 hour shoes ( I was in them for 8), today's were more the fine every few days but I believe I will be barefoot the rest of the day. I love Sunday afternoons, I usually try to get a nap in somewhere, I am a true believer in the siesta being of Mexican descent.  The other reason Sunday is awesome?  I get emails from my Missionary son.  He is 19 hours ahead of us so for him it's Monday.  He gets 1 day a week called P day (preparation) to write family, do laundry, go shopping or whatever he needs to do to get ready for the coming week.  Today he emailed me this:

I want you to know I've been thinking a lot about you. I had a conversation with Sister Mautz before she left about having children serving missions. She said that it was a little sad because she felt like she never really got her children back. I thought to myself that you'd never "get me back either" but that's only because you can't get back what you've never lost. 

I feel so blessed to have a son who is so willing to lose himself serving the Lord.  I'm grateful that our family is so close and we enjoy each other, are we perfect?  Definitely not!  But I am indeed grateful that my kids know where home is and that they love to be here.

This was a good weekend,
Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment